General Meeting Information
Date: November 27,
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109
Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader 2:30 - 2:35 p.m. Welcome I Chow 2:35 - 2:40 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Notes from November 20,2017 meeting A Chow 2:40 - 2:55 p.m. Needs and Confirmations I/D/A Nguyen 2:55 - 3:20 p.m. Proposed Process and Form for Identifying No-Cost Materials in the Online schedule of Classes (3rd Discussion & action on approval) D/A
3:20 - 4 p.m. Working sessions: Contributing Input for Guided Pathways Self Assessment Tool Items #9-14. Googledoc Working Draft
Chow 4 - 4:05 p.m. Request for Academic Senate Co-Sponsorship of Equity Event organized by Steve Nava & Office of Equity
Chow 4:05 - 4:20 p.m.
Committee and Taskforce Reports (may include any of following):
- Chancellor’s Equity For Excellence
- Equity Action Council
- CTE Institutional Advancement Committee
- College Council
- Campus Budget
- Chancellor’s Advisory Committee
- Enrollment Advisory Team (EAT)
- Senate subcommittees—AB 705 Workforce
4:20 - 4:25 p.m.
Meeting Evaluation (On effectiveness of the meeting advancing academic & professional matters and the principles of equity)
I/D All 4:25 - 4:30 p.m.
Good of the Order and Appreciations
A = Action
D = Discussion
I = Information
Approval of Agenda & Notes from November 20, 2017 meeting
- Karen Chow apologized for getting the notes out on the day of meeting. No objections to both agenda and notes and they were approved.
Needs & Confirmations - Discussion of Office of College Life Director search committee
- Jim Nguyen showed the position description posted this past summer for the interim Office of College Life Director.
- Senator question: Is this person going to do the parent open house or will Rob’s office continue to?
- This is a faculty position.
- There was a question about the hiring/search process. Position will not be hired likely until next quarter.
- Chow: since it has not yet been determined, what should the composition of faculty representation be on this search committee? Delas: would like to see conflict resolution/discipline and student conduct as a focus in terms of the position
- Clem: good to have faculty from social sciences due to governance aspect, maybe also someone from kinesiology
- Klingman: someone who is experienced with conflict resolution and government
- Sullivan: having a male on committee would be good, since all the faculty in the Division of Student Development are all women
Proposed Process and Form for Identifying No-Cost Materials in the Online Schedule of Classes (3rd discussion & action on approval) (Do we need to provide a link to the nre
Hearn : thank you for correcting me on the right language around “zero cost” and what the definition of “materials” is for purposes of the proposed process. “Tools” is ambiguous and Hearn checked with the Chancellor’s office and has yet to hear back so she will consider calculators as a “supply”.
Balm: suggest striking the word “graphing” from calculator Hearn: Using “zero cost course materials” language to create consistency throughout the document.
Donahue: what about field trip fees? Hearn: we cannot cover every possible scenario so will have to default to faculty on this.
Mary Sullivan motioned zero cost material wording with understanding if anything changes that would have to address. (Accept form with edits and Minus word : :) "accessibility," Passes, one abstention, no opposition
Working session: Contributing Input for Guided Pathways Self-Assessment Tool Items #9-14
- Broke into groups, reviewed assigned key element, where are we on the scale currently, answer questions
Request for Academic co-sponsorship of Equity Event organized by Steve Nava and Office of Equity
- Is body ok with co-sponsorship of the event featuring Dr.Patrick Zavella, a Latinx
Studies researcher who will come to discuss her recent research on February 21st in
Conference Room A/B. 1:30-3:20 p.m. The (First Year Experience) FYE instructors will
be inviting their students to the event to ask questions about Dr. Zavella's research
and career experience as a woman of color and innovative researcher. this article
title is what her talk will mainly cover and the link is a video about the ABQ Women
Campaign. I also included Dr. Zavella's CV link.
- “Intersectional Praxis in the Movement for Reproductive Justice: The Respect ABQ Women Campaign,” Signs: A Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 14, no. 2 (2016): 509-533.
- Her CV
No financial sponsorship requested
- Paul moved to approve, Mary Sullivan asked is there any concern regarding the subject?, Karen addressed that she reviewed the CV and didn’t notice
- Robert A. move to approve, Maria D. second, abstention from Cheryl B., no objections
Committee and Taskforce reports (may include any of following):
- Chancellor's Equity Fro Excellence - meetings encouraging faculty and staff to be innovative in regards to equity. Focus is on student retention and success using validation theory. Inviting projects with funding for NCORE meetings as the incentive
- Equity Action Council - group is taking stock of where it is at and how the body might move going forward e.g. community policing, integrating SSSP, equity, committee membership, etc. What will the group's focus be?
- CTE Institutional Advancement Committee
- Enrollment Advisory Team (EAT)
- Senate subcommittees
Chow: idea she is thinking of is offering program for proposing mini-grants to faculty with equity ideas similar to what DARE did before for vouchers, food, etc.
(On effectiveness of the meeting advancing academic & professional matters and the principles of equity)
Good of the Order Appreciations
- Chow: congratulations to DASB and faculty for successfully getting the word out aBout voting, and to students for overwhelmingly passing the Eco Pass with well over the minimum votes needed
- Sullivan: flu shots still available for students
- Donahue: what's situation with skateboarding on campus?
- that's a facilities question
- Balm: thanks to Sullivan for coming in to talk about smoking, and sexual health with students in our classes.
Officers and Senators
Executive Committee Members Present
Name Position Present Karen Chow President Y Jim Nguyen Vice President Y Alicia Del Toro Executive Secretary/Treasurer Y Yael Karmi PT Y Mary Donahue PT Y Paul Klingman App Tech Y John Walton App Tech Y Bob Kalpin BHES Y Peter Miskin BHES Y Mia Breen Bus/CIS Y Mary Pape Bus/CIS Milena Grozeva Levy CA Y Elizabeth Mjelde (on PDL in Fall) CA Nellie Vargas CD&E Robert Alexander (Paul Wethington on leave) Counseling Y Rob Clem Counseling Y Vacancy DSPS Maria Delas DSPS Y Vacancy IIS Hua-Fu Liu ICS/IIS Y Cheryl Balm PSME Y Chris DiLeonardo PSME Iva Tracey LA Y Cecilia Deck LA Laura Chin SSH Y My Linh Pham SSH Y Arden Kragalott PE Y Scott Hertler PE Y Tom Dolen LR Y Mary Sullivan SD Y Eric Woodbury Curriculum Committee
Name Position Present Brian Murphy DA Pres Stacey Cook VPSS Christina Espinosa-Pieb VPI Susan Cheu VPFCO Lorrie Ranck AVPI TBA OSOD Marisa Spatafore Mktng Anastasia Soenjoto DASB Bob Stockwell FA Lorna Maynard CS Elias Kamal Student Trustee Mallory Newell IR Moaty Fayek Dean BS/CIS Renee Augenstein Articulation Mary Bennett Tenure Review Sheila White-Daniels Dean Counseling Nancy Canter Dean CA Alicia Cortez Interim Dean, Equity and Engagement Coleen Lee Wheat Dean PE Isaac Escoto FH Academic Senate Mayra Cruz District Academic Senate President Pam Grey AVPCO Stacey Shears DSP&S Anita Kandula Dean BHES Michele LeBleu-Burns Dean, Stud Dev/EOPS Rob Mieso Associate VP of Student Services Lisa Mandy Dir Finan Aid Tamica Ward Enrollment Services Dean Edmundo Norte Dean IIS Thomas Ray Dean LA Jerry Rosenberg Dean PSME Judy Miner Chancellor Dawn Tu Lee Office of Professional Development Carolyn Wilkins-Green Dean SSH Kelly Swanson Book Store Mary Pape SLO David Ulate FHDA Research & Planning