The De Anza Academic Senate
 Approved Notes for the meeting of

July 6th, 2009

Senators and Officers present: Anderson, Argyriou, Beckum,  Botsford, Brennan, Cichanski, Cordero, Dolen, Goodwin, D. Guevara, J. Guevara, Hanna, LaManque, Lee-Klawender, Lathers, Logvinenko, Maynard, Mitchell, Setziol, Sherby, Swanner, and White,

Senators and Officers absent: Cadge-Moore, Coleman, Glapion, J. Guevara, Hughes, and Miller,

DASB: Classified Senate: Lois Jenkins and Carmen Pereida

Administrative Liaison: Rich Schroeder

Guests: Karl Schaffer , Moto Otake, Diane Pierce, Karen Chow, and Bob Stockwell

SLO coordinators: Jim Haynes

Curriculum Co Chair: Anu Khanna 

[NOTE: Item numbers are reflective of agenda numbers in the order they are actually taken up at the meeting.]

The meeting was called to order at 2:32, a quorum being present. 

I. Approval of Agenda and Notes: The agenda was approved as distributed.

The notes of June 15th had been previously approved by mail.

III. College President’s Update: Murphy began by giving his current, bleak assessment of the State budget deliberations, both in terms of their likely outcomes (in more than just education cuts) and in terms of the terrible state of affairs in Sacramento where 40% of the legislators control the other 60%.

In terms of the District, he made no comment on salary negotiations specifically but did mention the administration’s plan to ensure that benefits costs would not increase.

In terms of the College, he thanked the Executive Committee for meeting in July and for IPBT continuing to meet. In response to a question about multiple 5% prospective cuts, he mentioned that an initial 5% was to have been by way of reducing class offerings (and will be enacted) and that a contemplated second 5% can be from anything, with the results being monitored for effect on the institution before they might be enacted.

II. Needs and Confirmations: Michelle Fritz was confirmed for service in the At Large Tenure Review Committee Member Pool.

IV. District Mission Statement: After a streamlined discussion, it was the sense of the Senate that the words “and communities” should be stricken and that Argyriou should feel free to inform the Board that the sentence containing those words is grammatically incorrect with them.

V. Leadership Institute Report: Two topics of note: the State budget and its ramifications and conforming to the provisions of the Brown Act. With regard to the latter, Argyriou said that the Planning and Budgeting teams which Senate

co chairs need to be held to the same standard as the Executive Committee.

VI. District Budget Update:  


VII. Enrollment Management: These two items blended together and were primarily the occasion for Argyriou to take the group through three newly developed documents. The documents were 1) Definitions for budget, 2) Outline for Academic Senate: Budget and Planning (specifically budget reductions), and 3) Ingredients, values and principles – a reminder of Academic Senate focus and position.

All three items were gone over briefly but completely. There were questions about some items and individual expressions of what was relatively important and comments but, all in all, there was no action and no discussion of Senate action or position relative to the current situation.

VIII. IPBT Update: Lee-Klawender mentioned that division deans were asked to cut their budgets by 5%. Deans should be asked:

What is the division planning to cut?

Who was consulted?

How were cuts determined?

An update will be sent soon.

IX. Good of the Order and Announcements: - Open forums for the finalists for the position of Vice President for Student Services were announced for July 14th and 15th.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:15.

Back to Top